Canadian Passport Photo Requirements
When applying for a Canadian passport or visa, you have to provide a recent photo compatible with the official photo requirements such as
- head and eye placement,
- clothing and background.
So, there are a lot of parameters to be considered. If the photo does not meet these criteria, your application may be rejected.
Table of contents
- Canada: passport photo size and format
- Pose and facial expression
- Colour and lighting
- Canada: passport photo dress code
- Getting a Canadian passport photo online
- Canada passport photo guidelines
- Canada visa picture requirements
This article will explain in detail what are the photo requirements for a Canadian passport that all applicants should meet.
Please note that the rules for Canadian visa photos differ from the passport photo requirements. The required Canadian passport photo size is 5x7 cm, while the Canadian visa photo format is 35x45 mm. See more information below.
Canada: passport photo size and format
The photo for the Canadian passport should be 50 mm in width and 70 mm in height (2 x 2 3/4 inches, respectively). The optimal height of the face is between 31 mm (1 1/4 inches) and 36 mm (1 7/16 inches) measured from the chin to the top or the crown of the head. Your face and shoulders must be placed in the center of the photo.
Your photo should look like this:
Pose and facial expression
WWhen taking a photo for a Canadian passport, ensure that you look directly at the camera, your facial expression is neutral, and your eyes are open and clearly visible. Photos with open mouth or smiles are not accepted because it does not allow officials to use facial recognition systems that prevent fraud.
As a standard rule, the Canada passport photo background should be white or light-coloured. The photo must represent the clear difference between your face and the background and reflect the natural tone of your skin.
Colour and lighting
Canadian passport photo specifications require you to provide uniform and consistent lighting in your photo, with no shadows, flash reflections or glare present. The focus must be sharp, and the overall image should be clear. Both colour and black-and-white pictures are acceptable.
Passport photo dress code
According to Canadian passport photo rules, it's not allowed to take pictures with:
- Sunglasses or tinted eyeglasses, even if your eyes are visible. Glasses prescribed for medical reasons are acceptable if there is no glare;
- Red-eye effect or its computer alternation;
- Hats and headwear. An exception is made for those garments you wear daily for medical reasons or religious beliefs (such as hijab, for example).
Canada passport photo specification allows you to make a photo wearing a medical nasal cannula if you provide a signed explanation with your application. In some cases, a letter from the doctor may be required.
Make-up and hair
For passport photos, it’s recommended to wear light, natural makeup that doesn't change your appearance. There are no strict rules for hair and ears: you can choose any hairstyle that doesn’t cover your forehead or eyes.
There are also no restrictions on the beard: you do not have to shave it off for the passport photo. Remember, the most important thing is that the portrait in your passport should clearly reflect your current appearance.
Getting a Canadian passport photo online
Specialized online soft is the surest way to create a compliant passport photo. Visafoto instantly edits pictures so that every detail meets requirements.
First, take a photo of yours like this:
And you will also get this file for printing:
Canada passport photo guidelines
Here are four short steps to taking a passport photo at home:
- First of all, make sure that you are dressed according to the specifications provided above and that you are not wearing prohibited items;
- Then take a photo of yourself facing directly the camera and keeping a straight posture. Close your mouth and do not smile or frown.
- There are no special requirements for the background; however, there should be no shadows or glare, and the lighting should be more or less consistent;
- Upload your picture to Visafoto.com and you will immediately get the photo matching all the official rules. The service will make the picture clear and focused, adjust the size and format of the photo, and set the required background.
You will receive both a digital photo and a printable copy. The technical support is ready to answer all of your questions in the 24x7 mode. In case you are not satisfied with the result, we will replace your photo for free or you will be reimbursed 100%.
Passport photo signature
Canadian passport photo specifications state that the back of one print must contain a stamp or written text describing the date the picture was taken, the name and the address of the photo studio. If you create the passport photo at home, you can just use the signature of your photographer or any guarantor who knows you personally. Visafoto clients successfully use this approach, and their photographs are being accepted.
Canada visa picture requirements
Photo for a Canadian visa should be 35x45 mm. But other instructions like face expression, head position, illumination, background etc are the same for the Canada visa picture requirements as well.
Looking for a Canada passport photo near me?
Last update: September 2022