Check your Green Сard photo for free
Do you dream of winning a U.S. Green Card and plan to participate in the Diversity Visa Lottery? Before you submit your application form, make sure that the attached photograph meets the Green Card photo requirements.
Table of contents
- Why is image quality so important?
- What are the detailed Green Card Lottery photo requirements?
- Can I wear glasses in the DV Lottery photo?
- Green Card photo examples
- Free Green Card lottery photo checker
- Green Card lottery photo editor
- Can I use the Photo Tool as a Green Card Lottery photo checker?
- Are the results obtained through Visafoto guaranteed?
Take it seriously: an uncorrected photo is the most common reason for being automatically disqualified.
Why is image quality so important?
The initial DVlottery photo check is performed by the governmental software. If the photo doesn't match at least one of the parameters, the system simply can't process it. In that case, your entry will be rejected long before the lottery results are calculated.
It is also important to submit up-to-date new photos taken no more than 6 months prior to entering the lottery. If your picture has already appeared in a previous lottery, the software recognizes this, and it will also be a reason for disqualification. And if after winning, during the interview at the embassy your DV Lottery pic will not correspond to your appearance, it will cause a lot of questions to the visa officer.
What are the detailed Green Card Lottery photo requirements?
Before you submit the application form, by all means check your photograph for the following parameters:
- The photo must have been taken no later than six months before submission. The fresher the picture, the better;
- The photo must be in color;
- The Green Card Lottery photo size should be 600x600 pixels. The format must be strictly square;
- The face should occupy 50 to 69% of the height of the image;
- The background must be uniform and light, preferably white. Distinct shadows or extraneous objects are not allowed;
- The distance to eye level should be at least 56% of the image height, up to a maximum of 69%. The calculation should be made from the lower boundary;
- Retouching of the appearance is not allowed;
- Only full-face photos are accepted. The facial expression must be neutral, with no smiling or frowning;
- The image must be in JPEG format with a maximum size of 240 kilobytes (240 KB);
Note: Do not send photos scanned from other documents. The reasons are obvious: the quality of the image will leave much to be desired, and the picture will not pass the DV Lottery photo check.
Can I wear glasses in the DV Lottery photo?
No. Since 2016, even people with poor eyesight must be photographed without glasses.
Green Card photo examples
The photo below is 100% compliant with the size, background, and head position. Use it as a DV lottery photo sample when preparing for the application.
Free Green Card lottery photo checker
Have you already prepared the photo for submission? Use the specialized Free Green Card lottery photo checker for making sure you are not missing any requirement. Just upload your picture, and the service will automatically check the size, format, background, and other specifications.
You can also contact our 24/7 support: we will provide the Green Card lottery photo test, checking all the details.
Note that the U.S. Department of State imposes the same requirements for DV lottery photos, American visa photos, and US passport photos. You can use the mentioned above DVlottery photo check tool for any of the documents mentioned above.
Green Card lottery photo editor
The most reliable way to take a suitable photo for the DV Lottery is to use special software. Visafoto instantly edits the size, format, and background, making the photo 100% the compliant one.
Before you upload your picture to our DV lottery photo editor, make sure it meets the following parameters that can't be fixed automatically:
- The portrait is taken in full-face with a neutral expression;
- The lighting in the photo is even, without strong contrasting shadows;
- The photo was taken in a decent quality: no broken pixels, underexposure, or glare;
- You don’t wear any glasses;
- There is no headwear unless you are required by religion to wear it. In the latter case, make sure that the facial oval is clearly visible.
- The background color doesn’t matter. Our DV Lottery photo tool will replace any background to plain white.
After processing at Visafoto, you will instantly get the photo in two formats:
- A digital photo for DV Lottery application;
- A template for printing with 4 separate pictures sized 2x2” (51x51 mm). Use it for the US visa application in the future!
Can I use the Photo Tool as a Green Card Lottery photo checker?
The Travel State Gov photo tool at https://tsg.phototool.state.gov/photo is an official software allowing users to adjust images to the U.S. digital passport photo size of 600x600 px.
But simply it is not a checker and can not verify if the photo is compliant.
You can use it as a photo cropper for DV lottery as well, but the result is not 100% guaranteed as this photo tool is a primitive kind of cropper that doesn't work good enough. Here is more information about why the Photo Tool may be incorrect.
If you still prefer the free online options to edit your DV Lottery photo, be sure to check the photo after processing.
Are the results obtained through Visafoto guaranteed?
Visafoto has been producing photos for U.S. passports, visas, and the Green Card Lottery since 2013.
Hundreds of thousands of our customers have successfully done the US visa and passport photos, and applied for the Lottery thanks to our elaborated Green Card lottery picture editor. We guarantee the professional result that will be 100% accepted by the system!
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact our 24/7 support team. Good luck at the Lottery!