How can I extend my Australian visa amid COVID-19 border closure?
Your country has closed borders because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and your stay in Australia has spread for an uncertain period? Learn how to extend your permitted stay period before your visa expires!
How to extend my Australian Visitor visa or ETA?
Australian migration law allows getting a new visitor visa (subclass 600) without leaving the country. You can make an online submission as long as you hold a valid visa that does not have the condition of 8503 ("No Further Stay").
Make sure to apply for a new visa before your current one expires! If the expiration date is already approaching, you may obtain a bridging visa that allows you to stay in Australia until your new visa application is accepted.
If your visa has a "No Further Stay" condition, you must request a waiver of this condition which allows you to submit a new visa application.
List of documents for Australian tourist visa application:
General requirements are:
- Certified copy of all pages of your current passport or travel documents, including the biodata page, alterations page and back page of the passport;
- One recent Australian visa photograph (45 mm x 35 mm). The picture should include your head and shoulders. Only a solid color background is allowed. Check Australian visa photo requirements and take your photo online to save your time and money.
- Visa fee (AUD145- AUD365, depending on the type of a visa)
How to extend my Australian student visa?
If your study in Australia is not about to end, then there are no changes in your current visa status. But if it is already ending, you should apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) six weeks before your Student visa expires. You don't need to provide any evidence of the impacts of COVID-19 on your stay. In general, the process of issuance of new visas for those who are in the country is temporarily eased.
How to extend my Working Holiday Maker visa?
If you have completed three or six months of specified work in Australia, you can apply for a second or third Working Holiday Maker visa. To obtain it, you must meet the requirements for that visa, including any age limits, English language, health, and character requirements.
Workers employed (or capable of being employed) in critical sectors: agriculture, health, aged and disability care and childcare have special options. They can apply for COVID-19 pandemic Temporary Activity Visa (subclass 408) Australian Government Endorsed Agreement Event (AGEE) stream visa free of charge. This visa allows you to remain lawfully in Australia, and continue working, until it is possible to return to your home country.
List of documents for Temporary Activity Visa:
- Letter of endorsement from the event organizer
- Certified copy of all pages of current passport or travel documents, including the biodata page, alterations page and back page of the passport;
- One recent Australian visa photograph (45 mm x 35 mm).
Note, that during the COVID-19 pandemic only online visa applications are available.