Hong Kong passport and visa photo requirements
There are some rules to follow when applying for a new Hong Kong passport or visa. Firstly, always make sure that your photo meets official passport photo requirements for a Hong Kong passport. The photo will be rejected if your head is not in the middle of the photo, eyes are closed or clothes cover all your face. A photo with strong shadows will be rejected too.
In this article we list in detail passport photo Hong Kong requirements.
Table of contents
- Hong Kong passport photo size and format
- Color and lighting
- Pose and facial expression
- Hong Kong passport photo clothing requirements
- Getting Hong Kong passport photo online
- Hong Kong passport photo guidelines
Note that the Hong Kong passport photo rules are the same as the ones for the Hong Kong visa. The visa also has the online and offline forms.
Hong Kong passport photo size and format
For paper form, the size of the photo must be 40mm (width) and 50mm (height). Hong Kong passport photo guidelines include not only the size of the image but also the position of the head. Head height from chin to crown should be between 32 and 36mm. The distance from the top of the photo to the top of the hair should be 5mm.
For online form, the image type is JPEG. File size must be 5MB or less. Image size of the photo should be at least 1200 pixels (width) and 1600 pixels (height).
Other requirements are the same for both forms.
Hong Kong passport photo background is white. No patterns, shadows or colors are allowed.
Color and lighting
The photo must be clear and in color only. Lighting should be evenly distributed through the image and not reflected in the background.
Pose and facial expression
The photograph should show your full frontal face with clear facial features. Head should be facing forward.
Smiling is not recommended but isn’t prohibited. A natural smile is acceptable without showing teeth. Otherwise, have neutral facial expression.
Eyes are always the focal point of any passport or visa photo. Therefore, they should be open and fully visible. They can not be obscured by any object such as hair or sunglasses.
Hong Kong passport photo clothing requirements
- There are no strict clothing requirements. Avoid white shirts. It is preferable that the clothes contrast with the background.
- Women should avoid too much make-up.
- Sunglasses are not allowed.
- Prescription lasses are permitted only if they don’t hide the eyes.
- Headwear is allowed for religious purposes only.
Getting Hong Kong passport photo online
Using speсialized online tools is the fastest way to make a relevant Hong Kong passport or visa photo.
To take a passport photo, you just need to take a full-face portrait made against any background with good lighting. Upload your file to Visafoto.com here and get your passport photo instantly. The service will convert a picture so that it meets all the photo requirements for a Hong Kong passport.
Let's look at some examples.
An original photo:
Visafoto allows you to take the correct photo for any documents around the world. The service automatically edits the image. It improves the quality, replaces the background, sets the desired size. You will receive a printable version of the photo and a digital one.
Hong Kong passport photo guidelines
- Take a photo of yourself against any background. Look directly into the camera and keep your shoulders straight;
- Make sure the photo matches the clothing requirements mentioned above and there are no strong shadows in the picture;
- Load the photo to Visafoto.com and get the immediate result. The service will adjust the background, set the required size and format and improve image quality. The technical support is ready to answer all of your questions in the 24x7 mode.
You can use the same instructions for the Hong Kong visa photo guidelines as well.
Visafoto provides users with 24/7 technical support. If for some reason you are not satisfied with the result, we will replace the photo for free or refund 100% of the amount.