How to get an Indian registration of birth for a newborn?
Registering a birth is an important process in India that establishes legal proof of a child's existence and nationality. The process involves several steps and requires specific documentation. Below we will provide a guideline on Indian birth registration.
Table of contents
- How to get a birth certificate for your newborn baby in India?
- Birth registration of Indian nationals born abroad: rules
- How to apply for a birth registration online
- Documents required for Indian birth registration
- Birth registration photo requirements
- How to photograph a baby for a birth registration?
- Instantly edit a photo for a birth registration online
- India registration of birth costs
How to get a birth certificate for your newborn baby in India?
To get an Indian birth certificate for an infant, you need to follow these steps:
- Register the birth at the local municipality or panchayat office within 21 days of the child's birth using a form you get at the office or online;
- Submit the required documents. Along with the registration form, you will need to submit documents such as proof of birth (hospital discharge summary or doctor's certificate), proof of identity and address of parents, and marriage certificate (if applicable);
- Pay the fee. There is a fee for obtaining a birth certificate, which may vary depending on the state and municipality.
- Collect the birth certificate. Once the registration process is complete and the fee has been paid, you will receive the birth certificate from the municipal corporation or panchayat office.
It is important to note that if you do not register the birth within 21 days, you may have to pay a late fee or face legal consequences. Additionally, it is recommended that you obtain multiple copies of the birth certificate as it is required for various purposes such as school admissions, passport application, and government schemes.
Birth registration of Indian nationals born abroad: rules
Indian citizenship is passed on by descent. This means that Indian parents whose child is born abroad can pass that citizenship to their child. The birth registration of Indian nationals born abroad is mandatory, and failure to register the birth can result in difficulties in obtaining Indian citizenship, a passport, and other documents.
Indian nationals born abroad must register their birth with the Indian government to obtain an Indian birth certificate. If the registration is done after one year, you will need additional documentation and an explanation for the delay.
You can apply for birth registration to the Indian mission in the country of birth, such as the Indian embassy, high commission, or consulate. If there is no Indian mission in the country, then you can register the birth with the Indian mission in a neighboring country.
How to apply for a birth registration online
It is possible to apply for Indian birth registration online for Indian nationals born abroad. The process for electronic birth registration may vary depending on the Indian mission and the country of birth, but many Indian missions now offer online services for birth registration.
To register the birth of your child at an Indian consulate online, follow these steps:
- Fill out the online Form IC-4(1) here;
- Upload the required documents;
- Wait for processing;
- Receive the issued birth certificate.
Documents required for Indian birth registration
Here are the documents needed for birth registration:
- A copy of the birth certificate of the child;
- A copy of the passport of both parents;
- A copy of the certificate of Indian citizenship if acquired by registration/naturalization;
- A copy of the marriage certificate of the parents;
- Declaration letter that the child does not hold a passport of any other country;
- A valid registration application photo.
Note that these documents (except for the photo) need to be in PDF format and not exceed 1 MB in size.
Birth registration photo requirements
The digital photo of the child that’s required for the online application must satisfy the following parameters:
- The photo must be 100 pixels in width and 120 pixels in height;
- The file size must not be more than 20 kb;
- The file format must be JPG;
- The photo’s background should be plain white;
- The head must occupy about 75% of the photo.
Here is an example:
How to photograph a baby for a birth registration?
Taking a picture of a baby for a passport can be a bit challenging, but here are some tips that can help:
- Find a well-lit area indoors with natural light or use a well-lit room with artificial lighting to take the picture;
- Use a plain, light-colored background, for example, by laying the baby down on a plain sheet;
- Position the baby facing the camera with the head and shoulders in the frame and as straightened up as possible. Ensure that the baby's face is fully visible and in focus.
Instantly edit a photo for a birth registration online
Taking the right photo of your child for a passport application can already be tricky enough, but it will still have to fulfill all the technical requirements. To save time and resources, you can trust professionals like Visafoto to take care of your child’s photo, guaranteeing full compliance with the photo parameters.
Just take a picture of your child in good lighting with the tips above and upload it to our tool below.
Take an image with a smartphone or camera against any background, upload it here and instantly get a professional photo for your visa, passport, or ID.
You will get a digital photo like this one:
India registration of birth costs
The cost for registration of birth in India can vary depending on the state and the specific.
The fee for the registration of birth in India can range from around INR 5 to INR 50, with some authorities charging slightly more for late registration or obtaining multiple copies of the birth certificate.
The birth registration price can also depend on whether it is done in person or online. Some authorities may charge a slightly higher fee for online registration to cover the cost of processing the application and issuing the birth certificate. Additionally, for Indian nationals born abroad, the cost of birth registration with an Indian mission can vary depending on the mission and the country of birth but is generally reasonable and affordable.
It is recommended to check the specific registration fees for your state or Indian mission before applying for birth registration.