How to Renew a Kenyan Passport in the U.S.?
As the U.S. is a top destination for immigrants looking to improve their lives, the question of renewing passports in America is in the minds of many. Learn the basics of Kenyan passport renewals in the US below.
Table of contents
- Is it possible to apply for a Kenyan passport abroad?
- My Kenyan passport is lost or stolen in the US. What to do?
- Documents required for Kenyan passport renewal in the U.S.
- Kenyan passport facilities in the U.S.
- Kenyan passport photo requirements
- Get a Kenyan passport photo online!
- When to renew your Kenyan passport
- Kenyan passport renewal fees
Is it possible to apply for a Kenyan passport abroad?
Yes, Kenyans can apply to renew their passports abroad, especially in the US. This is done through the Kenyan diplomatic missions.
To apply for a Kenyan passport renewal, contact your local Kenyan diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate), then make an application online (if available), or in person.
My Kenyan passport is lost or stolen in the US. What to do?
The general rule in the unfortunate case where your passport is lost or stolen is to report the case to the local police. Get the police report, and then apply for a replacement document at your local embassy or consulate.
If you need an emergency replacement document, the application process usually differs from the usual renewal/replacement process, so contact your embassy or consulate for assistance.
Documents required for Kenyan passport renewal in the U.S.
In the US, through the embassy in Washington, DC, Kenyan citizens can apply for an electronic passport online. Here are the documents required:
- Application receipts (government and customer copy) from the online application;
- Application form;
- Two passport-size application pictures;
- Expired passport;
- Copy of passport biodata page;
- Original and copy of Kenya National ID;
- Birth certificate;
- Certificate of registration, if applicable;
- Marriage/divorce documents for changing names, if applicable.
As for the Los Angeles and New York City consulates, electronic passport applications are not yet available, so applications are made by appointment and with paper forms. The documental requirements for this process are similar; the difference is simply in the application forms.
Kenyan passport facilities in the U.S.
Kenyan passport applications are done and processed in the Kenyan embassy in Washington DC, and in the consulates in Los Angeles and New York City.
As mentioned above, the Washington DC embassy processes electronic passports, while the consulates do not yet have this service available.
Kenyan passport photo requirements
The photo for the Kenyan electronic passport has the following size parameters:
- The photo size is 2x2.5 inch;
- The photo resolution must be 300 dpi;
- The height of your head (from the chin to the crown) in the picture should occupy 72% of the picture;
- The background must be plain white;
- Your eyes must be open and looking straight at the camera;
- Eyeglasses are only allowed for medical purposes. In this case, you must provide a letter from a registered medical practitioner stating the reason. The frame must not obscure your face;
- If you usually wear religious headwear, it is allowed to wear it in the photo. It must not obscure facial features or edges;
- Accessories must not cover any facial features and not produce glares in the photo;
- The picture must have good contrast and lighting, with no dramatic shadows nor blurs or pixelated parts;
- The picture must not be retouched; it may not have red eyes or glares.
Here is an example:
Get a Kenyan passport photo online!
The Kenyan government is looking to make the passport renewal process easier and more accessible to its citizens. Still, you can make the process easier by getting your photo professionally done online.
Visafoto is an online passport photo service that can process your homemade portrait into a passport-compliant photo. Simply take a picture of yourself with any background, good lighting, and the required dress code. Then, upload it to our tool, and we’ll take care of the technicalities.
It converts your photo instantly so that it will meet all the Kenya passport photo guidelines.
After resizing, you will get an electronic photo and photos for printing:
When to renew your Kenyan passport
As a general rule, Kenyan passport renewal is available starting six months before it expires.
Kenyan passport renewal fees
The fees depend on the kind of passport you’re applying for and your situation:
- 32 pages: Kshs. 4,550
- 48 pages: Kshs. 6,050
- 64 pages: Kshs. 7,550
- Mutilated (damaged) passport replacement: Kshs. 10,050
- Lost passport replacement: Kshs. 12,050