Driving License Application in Singapore
To drive legally in Singapore, you need to hold a valid driving license valid. This article will break down the basics of applying for a driving license in Singapore.
Table of contents
- Who is eligible for a driving license in Singapore?
- General step-by-step guide to applying for a Singaporean driving license
- How to apply for a driving license in Singapore online
- Singapore driving license photo parameters
- Get a photo with Singapore driving license standards
Who is eligible for a driving license in Singapore?
Like in most countries, age is the primary eligibility requirement to apply for a driving license in Singapore. The minimum age to drive is 18.
Both Singaporeans and foreign residents of Singapore can apply for a driving license, given that they have passed all the necessary tests.
General step-by-step guide to applying for a Singaporean driving license
Unlike applying for an ID, applying for a driving license doesn’t just require your identity but also requires you to prove your ability to drive. Here is the general guide to applying for a driving license, from start to finish:
- Study for, register for, and pass the Basic Theory Test;
- Apply for a provisional driving license (PDL), needed to learn to drive;
- Learn how to drive in a school or with a private instructor;
- Pass another theory test: the Final Theory Test;
- Take the driving simulator lessons;
- Finally: pass your practical driving test;
- Only after passing all tests can you apply for a qualified driving license.
Keep in mind that registering for courses and examinations is paid. Fees depend on which service provider you choose.
How to apply for a driving license in Singapore online
Both processes can be done online on the official Singapore Police Force e-Service website, whether you're applying for a provisional or qualified driving license.
Apply for a provisional driving license (PDL) in Singapore
You may apply online by logging in with your Singpass account or your FIN and date of birth. The application process has a fee of S$25, payable by NETS or Cashcard. You will also need to submit identifying documents (including proof of legal residence for foreigners) and proof that you passed the basic theory test.
Apply for a qualified driving license (QDL) in Singapore
Like for PDL, you may log in to apply using your Singpass account or your FIN and date of birth. You will need to provide your valid identification and proof that you passed all the necessary tests. The QDL is also a photo ID, so the police service must receive your valid photo to process your application.
Singapore driving license photo parameters
The parameters for a Singaporean driving license photo are similar to the format for its passport photographs:
- The picture size must be 35mm wide and 45mm high;
- The image must not be bordered;
- The picture may not be older than 3 months;
- The photo must be in colour;
- The format must be JPG or JPEG
- The image must show your full face;
- The height of your face in the photo must be between 25 mm and 35 mm from chin to crown;
- The photo background must be plain white with a matt or semi-matt finish;
- The photo lighting and contrast must be even;
- Headgear is not allowed except for religious or racial reasons. However, the headgear must not hide your facial features. It should also contrast the white background;
- Your facial expression in the photo must be neutral with your mouth closed and eyes looking straight into the camera;
- Your head must be centred in the picture, and your whole head and hair, as well as shoulder, must be visible;
- Coloured contact lenses are not allowed, and make sure your photo does not have red eyes;
- Eyeglasses are allowed, but they may not obscure the face by frame or have reflective glare or coloured lenses.
Here is an example:
Get a photo with Singapore driving license standards
Do you need to submit a photo to apply for a Singaporean driving license? Then make sure your photo fulfils all the spefications required as explained above.
Visafoto can help you get your photo just right, down to the subtler parameters like head proportions. Just take a picture of yourself following the required posing and dress code and upload it to our tool below.
Take an image with a smartphone or camera against any background, upload it here, and instantly get a professional photo for your visa, passport, or ID.
First, take a photo of yours under daylight like this one:
You will have two types of photos: a digital one for electronic applications and another one suitable for printing.
Here they are: