South African Passport Renewal in the U.S.
Getting a new South African passport while residing in the United States requires you to follow a specific set of procedures and guidelines. From gathering the required documents to completing the application process, it is important to know the necessary steps to ensure a successful renewal.
Table of contents
- Is it possible to renew a South African passport in the U.S.?
- What to do if your South African passport is lost or stolen in the U.S.?
- Where to submit your application for South African passport renewal in the U.S.?
- Documents required for South African passport renewal abroad
- South African passport photo requirements
- Get a South African passport photo online!
- South African passport renewal costs
- How to pay fees for South African passport renewal in the U.S.
- How long does renewing a South African passport in the U.S. take?
Is it possible to renew a South African passport in the U.S.?
Yes, you can obtain a new South African passport in the U.S. South African citizens living in the United States can apply for passport renewal at the South African Embassy in Washington D.C. or one of the South African Consulates General in Los Angeles or New York.
What to do if your South African passport is lost or stolen in the U.S.?
If you have lost your ZA passport anywhere in the U.S., you should immediately report it to the nearest local law enforcement agency and obtain a police report. You will then need to apply for a new passport at the South African Embassy in Washington D.C. or one of the Consulates General in Los Angeles or New York, providing the police report and other required documents to support your application.
Where to submit your application for South African passport renewal in the U.S.?
For residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming, including the US Territory of Guam, apply through The South African Consulate General in Los Angeles, CA at the following address:
6300 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 600
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Tel. (323) 651-0902
Emergency: (323) 244-0360
For residents of Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, West Virginia, British Virgin Islands, St Martins, Bermuda and Cayman, apply through The South African Consulate General in New York City:
845 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Tel: (212) 692-2421
Emergency: (917) 200-8396
For residents of Alabama, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Wisconsin, apply through The South African Embassy in Washington, DC:
3051 Massachusetts Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tel: (202) 232-4400
Emergency: (202) 413-1953
Documents required for South African passport renewal abroad
Here are the required documents to renew your adult South African passport:
- DHA-73 – Passport Application form;
- DHA-529 Determination of citizenship;
- DHA-9 form;
- Divorce decree, if applicable;
- Notarized marriage certificate, if applicable;
- A written request for surname change, if applicable;
- Notarized Copy of South African Passport;
- Notarized Copy of South African Identity Book or Birth certificate;
- Notarized Copy of Retention/Exemption Letter for those who have dual citizenship;
- Notarized certificate of Naturalization if applicable;
- Loss of passport report and police report for loss of passport for applicants who lost their passports and are applying for a new passport;
- Four passport-formatted photos.
South African passport photo requirements
Here are the photo requirements for South African passports:
- The photo must be in color;
- The South African passport photo size must be 35 mm in width and 45 mm in height;
- The height of your head in the picture must be between 25 to 35 mm, while the space above your head from 3 to 5 mm;
- The photo must be no older than one month;
- The background must be light gray or cream;
- Glasses are allowed. The frame must not cover any part of your eyes. There must be no glare on the lenses. Dark glasses are not permitted;
- You can wear a head covering for religious or medical reasons. Your full facial features must be visible. You cannot wear head accessories for any other reason;
- Your photo must be in focus. Balance the lighting and color, not too dark or too light;
- There must not be any shadows on your face or behind your head;
- 'Red eye' in photographs is not acceptable;
- Keep your facial expression neutral and look straight into the camera.
Here is an example:
Get a South African passport photo online!
The South African passport photo size differs from the standard passport photo format in the U.S. Therefore, it will be easier to take the picture yourself and use a professional online service such as Visafoto to get your ZA passport photo done. Visafoto can turn your homemade portrait of any size and background into a fully compliant photo: it changes the background, adjusts the sizes, and even fixes red eyes. Ensure you take your picture in good lighting and according to dress code guidelines.
First, take a photo of yourself under daylight like this one:
After resizing, you will get photos like these ones:
South African passport renewal costs
To renew a regular adult or child passport, the fee is $67.00, while the price to replace a lost passport is $134.00.
How to pay fees for South African passport renewal in the U.S.
The application fees for ZA passport renewal must be paid in money order or certified bank check payable to the South African embassy or consulate through which you’re applying to renew your passport.
How long does renewing a South African passport in the U.S. take?
The time it takes to renew a South African passport in the U.S. can vary depending on the workload of the embassy or consulate. According to the ZA Embassy, the current turnaround time is at least six months. If you need to leave the country urgently, you can apply for an Emergency Travel Certificate.
Therefore, it is recommended to apply for a passport renewal well in advance of any planned travel to ensure that you receive your new passport in time.