South Korea Alien Registration Card
Besides having a valid visa, some foreigners who enter South Korea need to apply for an Alien Registration Card (ARC). Who needs it, how to apply, and what do you need to apply for a South Korea Alien Registration Card? This article will explain the basics of getting one and some tips to help you go through the process smoothly.
Table of contents
- Who needs a South Korean Alien Registration Card?
- How to apply for a South Korean Alien Registration Card
- Documents required to apply for a South Korean Alien Registration Card
- Photo requirements for South Korean Alien Registration Card applications
- Get a photo for South Korean Alien Registration Card online
Who needs a South Korean Alien Registration Card?
Travellers who will be staying in South Korea for more than 90 days for any purpose, including for study and work, need to hold a valid ARC. They must get one within 3 months from the entry date and return the card upon exit from South Korea at the departure port.
Registration is required, including minors over the age of 17.
The only exceptions are foreigners who are in Korea for diplomatic and national security purposes: they don’t need a registration card.
How to apply for a South Korean Alien Registration Card
You need to apply in person at a local immigration office. Bring the required documents (explained in the next section) with you. For more details on your local office as well as the most recent information, visit the official Hi Korea service website.
Documents required to apply for a South Korean Alien Registration Card
Have this pack of documents with you to apply for the Alien Registration Card:
- Application form filled out completely;
- Your passport;
- An application photo fulfilling requirements (explained in the next section);
- Proof of residence;
- Application fee. The current Alien Registration Card cost is 30,000 KRW;
- Medical check-up record for tuberculosis, if you come from a country that’s required to do so.
Photo requirements for South Korean Alien Registration Card applications
The photo you use to apply for an Alien Registration Card needs to fulfill the following criteria:
- The photo must be in color;
- The photo size must be 30 mm in width and 40 mm in height;
- The height of your head in the picture must be between 20 to 30 mm, while the space above your head from 3 to 5 mm;
- The photo must be no older than six months;
- The background must be plain white;
- Glasses are allowed. The frame must not cover any part of your eyes. There must be no glare on the lenses. Dark glasses are not permitted;
- You can wear a head covering for religious or medical reasons. Your full facial features must be visible. You cannot wear head accessories for any other reason;
- Your photo must be in focus. Balance the lighting and colour, not too dark or too light;
- There must not be any shadows on your face or behind your head;
- 'Red eye' in photographs is not acceptable;
- Keep your facial expression neutral and look straight into the camera.
Here is an example:
Get a photo for South Korean Alien Registration Card online
You can save time on your registration card application by getting your photo professionally done online. With Visafoto, you can get a photo for your registration card that’s guaranteed to be accepted without going to a professional photo studio.
Simply take a picture of yourself following the guidelines and upload it to our tool below. No worries about the background, sizes, and dimensions: we’ll handle that for you.
Take an image with a smartphone or camera against any background, upload it here, and instantly get a professional photo for your visa, passport, or ID.
You will need a printed photo as you will be submitting the documents in physical form in person. But don’t worry about printing, your results from Visafoto will include a template ready for printing. Just make sure you print on a high quality photo paper.
First, take a photo of our under daylight like this one:
After resizing, you will get photos like these ones: