UK Residence Card Replacement (EU Settlement Scheme BRC)
Due to the UK immigration laws changes caused by Brexit, you may no longer apply for a UK residence card (officially known as the EEA biometric residence card).
Table of contents
- What replaces the UK Residence Card (EEA biometric residence card (BRC))?
- Who needs an EU Settlement Scheme BRC?
- How to apply for an EU Settlement Scheme BRC
- Documents needed to apply for an EU Settlement Scheme BRC
- EU Settlement Scheme BRC (UK Residence Card Replacement) photo parameters
- Get a photo formatted for EU Settlement Scheme BRC (UK Residence Card Replacement)
A new system is now in place. How do you get your UK residence card updated? Read more to learn.
What replaces the UK Residence Card (EEA biometric residence card (BRC))?
You need to update your UK residence card to continue living in the UK. The UK residence card is being replaced by the EU settlement scheme BRC.
The deadline for most people to apply to the EU settlement scheme was 30 June 2021. You may still apply for it if your deadline is past that date or you have a good reason to have missed the date, which you will need to explain and prove.
Who needs an EU Settlement Scheme BRC?
You need to apply for an EU settlement scheme BRC if: Your BRC is lost, stolen, or damaged;
- You have changed your name, nationality, facial appearance, date of birth, or gender;
- You want to upgrade EEA BRC to EU settlement scheme BRC;
- You want to change from a pre-settled status BRC to a settled status BRC issued under the EU Settlement Scheme (this is only possible for those granted settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme).
How to apply for an EU Settlement Scheme BRC
Here is the general process of an EU settlement scheme BRC application:
- Complete the application form on gov.uk;
- Submit your documents online or by post, if applicable;
- Pay the application fee (if applicable);
- Have your biometrics taken (if you’re not from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, and you do not hold a biometric residence card (that has not expired).
Documents needed to apply for an EU Settlement Scheme BRC
The documents you need to apply depend on your citizenship and status in the UK. Here we explain the basics of it.
Proof of identity
If you are a citizen of an EU member country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you need:
- Your valid passport or national identity card;
- A digital photo of yourself.
Otherwise, you will need:
- Your valid passport;
- Your BRC or BRP (not expired);
- A digital photo of yourself.
You can usually submit these online via the ID Document Check app, but postal submission is required if you hold the following documents:
- A passport that is not from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein;
- Biometric residence permit;
- A non-biometric national identity card from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein;
- Documents you can’t submit through the ID Document Check app.
Evidence of continued residence in the UK
This determines your status as settled or pre-settled in the UK. To become settled, you have to have stayed continuously in the UK for at least five years.
Evidence that you are eligible to apply after 30 June 2021
As mentioned above, the deadline to apply for the EU settlement scheme was 30 June 2021 for most people. However, this deadline does not apply to some categories of foreigners. Some people might also have missed the deadline due to various reasons.
To apply after the deadline, you must provide proof that you fall under those categories or had a respectable reason to have missed the deadline.
Proof of familial relationship (if applicable)
If you’re applying to join or remain with a family member, you will need to show documentary proof of familial relationship to that family member.
EU Settlement Scheme BRC (UK Residence Card Replacement) photo parameters
- The photo must be in colour;
- The minimum dimensions for the digital photo are 600 x 750 pixels;
- The file size is between 50KB and 10 MB;
- The file format is JPG or JPEG;
- The photo’s background is plain and light, but not white: preferably light grey or beige;
- The eyes must look straight into the camera and be shown clearly in the photo. The picture must show your natural eye colour;
- You may use prescription glasses, but they may not be tinted, obscure your eyes, or reflect glare;
- You may not retouch or change your facial features digitally;
- Religious headdresses are allowed as long as you wear them regularly, and they do not cover your face;
- Your face must be in the centre of the photo and occupy 70-80% of the image;
- Your facial expression in the picture must be neutral;
- The photo must accurately show your current appearance.
Here is an example:
Get a photo formatted for EU Settlement Scheme BRC (UK Residence Card Replacement)
Do you need a photo formatted up to EU settlement scheme BRC standards? Then Visafoto may be your solution.
Visafoto has been helping people get their pictures professionally done for various documents worldwide since 2013. It takes all needed parameters into account so that your photo fully satisfies the mentioned parameters.
Just take a photo under good lighting using the posing and dress code requirements above. No need to worry about background, size, and other technicalities; Visafoto will take care of the rest. Then, upload your photo to our tool below.
Take a photo of yours like this one:
You will have two types of photos: a digital one for electronic applications and another one suitable for printing.
Here they are:
Take an image with a smartphone or camera against any background, upload it here, and instantly get a professional photo for your visa, passport, or ID.