Australian Passport FAQ
A passport is one of a citizen's most important documents, especially abroad. Get the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Australian passport here.
Table of contents
- Part 1: Australian Passport Application
- Australian passport issuing authorities
- How to apply for an Australian passport at the post office?
- Is it possible to apply for an Australian passport online?
- How much does the Australian passport cost?
- What are the essential Australian passport photo requirements?
- How to get an Australian passport photo online?
- How long does it take to issue an Australian passport?
- How to renew my Australian passport?
- Is it possible to renew my Australian passport overseas?
- Part 2: Australian passport eligibility
- Part 3: Australian passport use
Part 1: Australian Passport Application
Australian passport issuing authorities
The Australian passport is issued by The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. While you can lodge your application at an Australia Post office, they are not the issuing authority.
How to apply for an Australian passport at the post office?
To apply for your passport at a participating post office, follow the steps below:
- Fill out your application form online or get your copy at the post office;
- Get your photo taken at the post office (if you don’t have an application photo yet);
- Submit your application and documents;
- Pay the application fee.
After completing this process, wait for your application to be processed and collect your passport.
Is it possible to apply for an Australian passport online?
Yes. You can apply for your passport electronically if you are an Australian citizen aged 18 or above. Here are the steps:
- Gather required documents and a digital passport photo;
- Have a guarantor or referee confirm your identity;
- Register or log in on the official Australian Passport Office platform;
- Fill out the form and upload the documents;
- Wait for your application to be processed and receive your passport.
How much does the Australian passport cost?
The fees depend on the validity period, age of the applicant, and other services:
- 10-year validity passport for people aged 16 and over: $301
- 5-year validity passport for people aged under 16 or 75 and over: $152
- Emergency and replacement passports: $189
- Priority processing fee: $220
- Overseas surcharge for adult applicants: $135
- Overseas surcharge for child applicants: $66.
What are the essential Australian passport photo requirements?
- The picture must be in colour and of good quality. The lighting and contrast must be even. No blurred, pixelated, or otherwise distorted photos may be accepted;
- The picture must be recent: no older than six months;
- If submitting multiple pictures, they must be identical;
- The photo background must be light and plain;
- The photo size must be 35mm to 40mm wide and 45mm to 50mm high;
- The height of your head in the picture (from crown to chin) should be between 32 and 36 mm;
- The photos may not be printed using an inkjet printer;
- Your face must be fully visible, and your eyes must look straight into the camera. Keep a neutral facial expression;
- Your face must be centred in the picture;
- Hearing aids are allowed if used regularly;
- Headwear should only be for religious or medical purposes. They should not obscure facial features.
Here is an example:
How to get an Australian passport photo online?
If you need to get your application lodged as quickly as possible, you may be looking to get your picture done online while making sure it’s fully compliant.
The online passport photo maker Visafoto can handle this for you. You simply need to take a picture of yourself in good lighting with any background and don’t forget to follow the posing and dress code guidelines. Then, upload it to our tool below. We’ll take care of all the technicalities, such as background and size, and even fix red eyes. You’ll get your fully compliant photo in an instant, and you can print it easily as we also provide templates ready to print.
Take an image with a smartphone or camera against any background, upload it here and instantly get a professional photo for your visa, passport, or ID.
You will get two files from Visafoto: a digital photo for electronic applications and a template ready for printing.
How long does it take to issue an Australian passport?
The exact processing time for passport applications may vary depending on the workload of the issuing authority and your individual case. The Australian government recommends allowing a minimum of 6 weeks for your passport to be processed. Applications abroad take approximately 10 weeks. Do not book any international travel before your passport is ready.
How to renew my Australian passport?
If you are eligible to renew your Australian passport, then you can pick to apply using one of the two available methods:
- Online through the official Australian Passport Office platform;
- Apply offline through an Australia Post office. First, get your form online or sent to you by calling 131 232. Renewal forms are not available at Australia Post.
Is it possible to renew my Australian passport overseas?
Yes, it is possible. You can apply online, since this service is available worldwide, or at the nearest Australian embassy or consulate.
Your embassy or consulate can also send you a pre-filled form for your passport renewal application.
Part 2: Australian passport eligibility
Can I get an Australian passport if I am not an Australian citizen?
No, Australian passports are only issued to Australian citizens.
However, Australia allows dual citizenship. If you are currently a foreign citizen and your country also allows dual citizenship, you can apply for Australian citizenship, given that you are eligible.
If your country doesn’t allow dual citizenship and you get Australian citizenship, you will lose your first citizenship.
How many years should I live in Australia to get an Australian passport?
To be eligible for Australian citizenship, among other requirements, you must have legally lived in Australia for four years, including 12 months as a permanent resident.
Part 3: Australian passport use
How many countries can an Australian passport holder visit visa-free?
The Australian passport currently gives holders access to 183 countries without paying a fee or applying for a visa to enter.
Do I need a passport for domestic flights?
No, it’s not obligatory. To fly within Australia, it’s enough to hold an official photo ID such as a driver's licence or social security card.
Do I need a passport to enter New Zealand?
Yes. To travel to New Zealand, you must hold a valid passport. Anyway, no visa is required for Australian citizens.