Australian Visa for Indian Tourists | Application, Photo, Fees
As is common practice, tourists from India traveling to Australia need to hold valid visitor visas. Learn below how an Indian citizen can get an Australian visa and how to handle the application process in India.
Table of contents
- Australian visitor visa rules
- Australian visa requirements for Indian citizens
- Where to apply for an Australian visa in India?
- Australian visa application process for Indians
- Documents required for Australian visitor visa application in India
- Australian visa photo specifications
- Where can I take an Australian visa photo near me?
- Australian visa fee for Indians
- Australian visitor visa validity for Indians
Australian visitor visa rules
Foreign citizens can visit Australia on a visitor visa (subclass 600) for business or tourism purposes. This also applies to Indian citizens looking to travel to Australia. Also, a visitor visa allows you to study in the country for no longer than 3 months. It does not allow Indian citizens to work in Australia.
Usually, the visitor visa can grant a period of stay of up to three months or up to 12 months in certain circumstances.
The visitor visa requires a fee for its applicants.
Australian visa requirements for Indian citizens
Each type of visa has its own set of requirements. In general, visa applicants must:
- Show proof of intent that they will use the visa as intended (for example, visitor visa for visiting only). Be prepared to answer all questions about your planned trip in detail;
- Have enough financial means to support themselves in Australia. The minimum money required for a trip to Australia is AUD 1000-1500 ( approximately INR 51 206) in your account;
- Have good character and can documentarily prove it;
- Apply for the visa according to the procedure.
Where to apply for an Australian visa in India?
You can apply for your Australian visa in India at the Australian High Commission in New Delhi at 1/50 G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021.
Additionally, you can seek assistance from other visa application centers in India, such as VFS Global's Online Visa Assist service
Australian visa application process for Indians
To apply for an Australian visa in India, follow these steps:
- Determine the visa type. Use the Visa Finder on the Australian High Commission's website to find the visa that best suits your needs.
- Prepare the required documents.
- Complete your visa application online using the ImmiAccount system
- Pay the required visa application fee online through ImmiAccount
- Wait for the visa processing. The Australian visa waiting time may vary depending on the type of visa and the specific circumstances of your application.
Please note that you should apply for your visa well in advance of your intended travel date.
Documents required for Australian visitor visa application in India
Here are the requirements for Indian citizens looking to apply for an Australian visitor visa:
- Original passport with a validity of up to 6 months ahead of travel date to Australia;
- Colour photographs fulfilling photo specifications;
- Cover letter explaining your travel;
- Proof of name change (if applicable);
- Proof of financial funds, which can be:
- Savings bank statement from the previous 6 months;
- Salary slip; or any other equivalent documents.
- Invitation letter (if visiting a friend), which must include the following:
- Your relationship with the invitee;
- Purpose of the visit;
- Length of stay in the country;
- Specifying if they are staying with you.
- Proof that you will return home, as applicable:
- Letter from your employer;
- Letter from your school, college or the university;
- Proof that you have immediate family back home;
- Proof of your major assets at home;
- Return ticket
- Proof of good character: Police Clearance Certificate;
- Income Tax Returns proof;
- Proof of identification: PAN card, Adhaar card.
Australian visa photo specifications
Make sure the photograph you use to apply fulfills these parameters:
- The Australian photo picture must be 35 to 45 mm in weight and 45 to 55 mm in height;
- The background must be light grey or white;
- The photo resolution must be 600 dpi;
- The height of your head (from the chin to the crown) in the picture must be 32 to 36 mm;
- Your eyes must be open and looking straight at the camera;
- Eyeglasses are only allowed for medical purposes. In this case, you must provide a letter from a registered medical practitioner stating the reason. The frame must not obscure your face;
- If you usually wear religious headwear, it is allowed to wear it in the photo. It must not obscure facial features or edges;
- Accessories must not cover any facial features and not produce glares in the photo;
- The picture must have good contrast and lighting, with no dramatic shadows nor blurs or pixelated parts;
- The picture must not be retouched, it may not have red eyes or glares.
Here is an example:
Where can I take an Australian visa photo near me?
Depending on where you are, you can use services provided by photo studios near you. However, you must also make sure that they can process your photo to make it fully compliant with the detailed technical requirements.
Or you can also take a picture yourself and use a professional online service such as Visafoto to get your Australian visa photo done. Visafoto can turn your homemade portrait of any size and background into a fully compliant photo: it changes your background, adjusts the sizes, and even fixes red eyes. Make sure to take your photo in good lighting and according to dress code guidelines.
First, take a photo of yours under daylight like this one:
You will have two types of photos: a digital one for electronic applications and another one suitable for printing.
Here they are:
Australian visa fee for Indians
The visitor visa cost is standardized in Australian dollars. For almost all visitor visa streams, the rate is AUD150. The Frequent traveler stream is AUD1,120, while Tourist stream applications in Australia cost AUD380. There might be other fees, such as for health checks or biometrics.
Australian visitor visa validity for Indians
As we have explained above, the granted visa validity depends on the specifics of each application. It is usually up to 3 months but can be granted for up to 12 months in specific circumstances.