How to apply for an Indian Voter ID Card?
Want to participate in changing your society and participate in one of the largest democracies in the world? Then one of the ways you can do that, as an Indian citizen, is by voting. You must have a Voter ID card to vote.
Table of contents
- Who’s eligible for an Indian Voter ID card
- Steps to apply for an Indian Voter ID card
- Documents needed to apply for an Indian Voter ID card
- Indian Voter ID card photo requirements
- Get an Indian Voter ID card photo online
To make sure that the process is as inclusive as possible and everyone can apply, the Indian government has provided several ways to apply for a Voter ID card. This article will explain the methods and requirements to apply for a Voter ID card, and then you can pick which one is the most convenient for you.
Who’s eligible for an Indian Voter ID card
All Indians permitted to vote are eligible for a Voter ID card. To be eligible to vote in India, you must:
- Be an Indian citizen;
- Be 18 years or above, unless disqualified;
- Have a permanent address.
Steps to apply for an Indian Voter ID card
You may apply for a Voter ID card online, semi-online (hybrid), or in person. The general process is the same: you must fill out an application form (Form 6), submit it along with the required documents, have your application and documents verified, and then receive your Voter ID.
Here are the steps in detail:
Apply for an Indian Voter ID card online
- Register as a voter on the official National Voters’ Services Portal website. You may register as a new voter, register to vote from abroad, and get other voting services on this website;
- Fill out Form 6 online;
- Upload a photo and supporting documents;
- Submit the application.
Apply for Indian Voter ID card semi-online (hybrid)
- Visit the National Voters’ Services Portal and download the Form 6;
- Print the form and fill it out by hand;
- Gather the required documents;
- Submit the application form and documents to your Local Election Office.
Apply for Indian Voter ID in person
- Gather all the documents needed to apply for a Voter ID;
- Visit your local Election Office and request a Form 6;
- Fill out the Form 6;
- Submit the application and documents.
You will get your Voter ID after your application and documents are verified.
Documents needed to apply for an Indian Voter ID card
As voting is a right for all eligible Indian citizens, the documents needed to apply for a Voter ID are simple. All you need are:
- Proof of identity (citizenship). This may be your birth certificate, passport, driving license, PAN Card or high school mark sheet;
- Proof of permanent address. This may be a ration card, your passport, driving license, or a utility bill;
- A photograph that satisfies the requirements.
Indian Voter ID card photo requirements
The photo you use to apply for a Voter ID must fulfill these requirements:
- The photo size must be 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51mm);
- The photo must be in color;
- The background must be plain white with no shadow and no extraneous objects;
- Your face must be in the center of the picture;
- Your face must be visible from the crown to the chin;
- You must look straight into the camera with a neutral expression;
- There must be no harsh shadows or highlights on your face;
- You must wear plain (not patterned) and colored (non-white) clothing in your photo;
- Head coverings, except religious ones, are not allowed. They may not obscure your face.
Here is an example:
Get an Indian Voter ID card photo online
Need to get a photo for an Indian Voter ID quick? Remember, your photo needs to satisfy the requirements mentioned above to be accepted. To get the quickest results, you may trust the professional online photo service Visafoto.
Visafoto will edit your picture so that it fulfills all the technical requirements. It can edit your background, adjust the size, face position, brightness, contrast, even fix head tilt.
Simply take a picture of yourself following the dress code and posing rules as explained above. Make sure your picture is taken in decent lighting, preferably under daylight. Then, upload your image to the tool below.
Take an image with a smartphone or camera against any background, upload it here and instantly get a professional photo for your visa, passport, or ID.
First, take a photo of yours under daylight like this one:
You will have two types of photos: a digital one for electronic applications and another one suitable for printing.
Here they are:
Visafoto has been making pictures for various documents around the world since 2013 and can guarantee that your photo will 100% satisfy the requirements. Should you have questions about our work, contact us!