Kenya passport photo requirements
To begin with, a compliant photo is an important part of your passport application.
A photograph used for the passport must meet special Kenya passport photo requirements. This includes requirements for size, quality, background, appearance, position, facial expressions, glasses, and framing. Otherwise, your application can be rejected.
In this article, you will find important information about official Kenya passport picture requirements.
Table of contents
- Kenya passport photo format and size
- Kenya passport photo background
- Color and lighting
- Pose and facial expression
- Passport photo clothing requirements
- Can I wear glasses in the Kenyan passport photo?
- Kenya e-visa photo requirements
- Kenya passport photo guidelines
- Getting the Kenya passport photo online: instructions
Kenya visa photo size differs from Kenya passport photo size. But other rules for a passport photo in Kenya are the same as Kenya’s visa photo requirements. So, the following information (except the file size) is suitable for both types of photos.
Kenya passport photo format and size
The standard size of a Kenya passport photo is 2x2.5 inches or 51x64 mm.
Kenya passport photo specifications include not only the size of the image but also the position of the face. The height of the head should occupy about 72% of the image height. The distance between the top of the photo and the head is about 8% of the picture height.
Here is an example:
The 2x2.5 inch photos you need to bring after you have applied for your Kenyan passport online. But to apply online, you need to register on the ecitizen.go.ke website. For a registration, you will need a 207x207 pixel photo.
Here is a sample:
Kenya passport photo background
The Kenya passport photo background color is white. There should be no shadows or objects.
Color and lighting
The photo must be colored and clear. It must have adequate brightness and contrast.
Pose and facial expression
Check this checklist before you pose:
- The photo should show that you are looking directly into the camera;
- The photograph must show your face from the front;
- Keep your eyes open and close your mouth;
- Have a natural facial expression;
- The entire head should be visible from crown to shoulders.
Passport photo clothing requirements
The Kenya passport photo dress code does not allow sunglasses and hats.
Religious headgear is allowed. But note that the eyes, nose, and mouth must be visible.
Can I wear glasses in the Kenyan passport photo?
It's better to take off your glasses to make sure the lenses don't cover your eyes.
Kenya e-visa photo requirements
Most Kenya visa photo requirements are the same as passport photo requirements mentioned above.
The required Kenyan e-visa photo size is 500 x 500 pixels. The maximum weight of the digital file is 200 kilobytes. The head of the applicant should take up 70% of the picture. The format of the digital photo must be JPG.
Kenya passport photo guidelines
Valid photos for Kenya passports can be made from the photo taken by the camera using our online service
It converts your photo instantly so that it will meet all the Kenya passport photo guidelines.
After resizing, you will get an electronic photo and photos for printing:
Getting the Kenya passport photo online: instructions
- Take your photo in front of a simple background such as a white wall or screen. Make sure there are no other objects in the background.
- Look directly into the camera. Show full face.
- Position the camera at the same level as your head.
- The shoulders should be visible and there should be enough room around the head for the photo to be cropped.
- Make sure the photo matches the above-mentioned dress code and there are no shadows on your face or background.
- Upload the photo to Visafoto.com and get the instant result. The service will modify the background, install the necessary size and format, and increase picture quality. It will create a printed passport photo and digital passport photo for online submission. Technical support is available to solve all of your questions in the 24x7 mode.
First, take a photo of your under daylight like this one:
You can use the same instructions for photo specification for a Kenya visa.
If for some reason the photo bought at Visafoto.com does not pass the controls, contact our support. We will correct the photo for free. For your convenience, the support is operating 24/7.