DS-82 Passport Renewal Form Guideline
There are many forms related to the US passport, and one of the most commonly-used ones is the DS-82: the passport renewal application form. This guide contains the DS-82 instructions and other helpful information.
Table of contents
- What is the DS-82 form?
- What is the difference between DS-11 and DS-82 passport forms?
- Where can you get a DS-82 passport renewal form?
- How to fill out the DS-82 passport form? General instructions and checklist
- Can DS-82 be handwritten?
- How to print the DS-82 form?
- Documents required to submit for a passport renewal along with the DS-82 form
- U.S. passport photo parameters
- US passport photo online editor
- Is it possible to submit the DS-82 form online?
- US passport renewal fees
- Related Links
What is the DS-82 form?
The DS-82 form is used for passport renewals. To submit the DS-82, you must be eligible to get a new passport, which is done by mail. You must fulfill all these conditions to be able to renew using the DS-82:
- You currently possess a U.S. passport and can submit it;
- Your passport is undamaged beside the usual wear and tear;
- Your current passport was issued when you were 16 or older;
- It was issued within the last 15 years;
- It was issued with your current name, or you can document your name change.
What is the difference between DS-11 and DS-82 passport forms?
The main difference is that applications using the DS-11 form are always in person. The DS-11 form is used for first-time applications, applications for citizens under 16, and if the applicant does not fully satisfy the requirements mentioned above. DS-82 is required for passport renewals by mail.
Where can you get a DS-82 passport renewal form?
You can download the DS-82 form from the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website here.
How to fill out the DS-82 passport form? General instructions and checklist
The form itself has some clear guidance on how to complete it. Either way, when filling out and before submitting, make sure to pay attention to these details:
- Make sure that you satisfy all the eligibility requirements. If you do not fulfill even one condition, you are ineligible to use the form;
- Make sure all the data you’re writing is correct and written clearly;
- If filling using handwriting, use a black pen;
- Put only relevant, US-based data on the form. For example, do not put a Canadian social insurance number in place of the US one;
- If you do not have a social security number, submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”;
- Make sure to use a fully compliant passport photo;
- Submit all the needed documentation.
Can DS-82 be handwritten?
Yes, you can fill out the DS-82 using handwriting. Please use a black pen and write clearly using block letters.
How to print the DS-82 form?
The DS-82 is printed on A4 format paper, each page on a separate sheet. Forms printed on both sizes of paper will not be accepted. The form can be printed in black and white or in color.
Documents required to submit for a passport renewal along with the DS-82 form
There are only two documents needed along with the form:
- Your current passport, the one you’re renewing;
- A recent passport-sized color photograph
U.S. passport photo parameters
Here are the parameters your passport picture needs to satisfy:
- The picture must not be older than six months;
- The photo’s background must be plain white;
- The US visa photo size is 2x2 inches (5x5 cm) in print and 600 - 1200 pixels in digital;
- Face-to-photo ratio: your face should occupy about 70% of the picture.
Here is an example:
US passport photo online editor
US passport photos have to follow strict requirements to be accepted. To avoid wasting time and resources, we recommend you trust the editing of your photo to a professional tool that guarantees that your photo will fully satisfy the parameters up to the subtlest details and be accepted by the embassy or consulate.
Visafoto has been processing US visa pictures since 2013, and it’s so easy to use! Just upload a portrait (or even a selfie) of you taken in decent lighting, with a proper dress code, and adequately posed: look straight to the camera and keep a neutral expression. Visafoto will take care of the rest.
Use a selfie taken under daylight, like this one:
You will get two files from Visafoto: a digital photo for electronic applications and a template ready for printing at the nearest pharmacy, so you can easily use the results for your application.
With Visafoto, you cut the cost of passport photos almost in half. While most drugstore and post office photo services charge $15 or more for two printed photos, Visafoto's fee is only $7 US dollars. You will get printable file with 4 separate photos that you can print at the nearest pharmacy store for about 50 cents.
Is it possible to submit the DS-82 form online?
Yes, since 2022, it is possible to apply for a renewal using the DS-82 online here. To do so, follow these steps:
- Register on the passport renewal platform;
- Wait for your account to be activated;
- Start your renewal application and follow the instructions.
US passport renewal fees
The U.S. passport rates are as follows:
- $130 for passport books;
- $30 for passport cards;
- $160 for both.
Expedited applications come at an additional fee.