How can I renew my Indian Passport in the U.S.?
If you are residing in the U.S. and holding an Indian passport, you should keep in mind its expiration date. If your passport is about to expire in the next 6 month, you will not be able to visit any other country.
Fortunately, you can renew your Indian passport without leaving the United States. You can also apply for a new passport for a newborn. Since November 2020, this process is handled by VFS Global, which won the contract for Indian Passport Application Services for the Embassy of India and its consulates in the USA.
Note, that you can't apply for a new passport with a B1/B2 visa. If you are in the process of legalizing in the US, you should submit your documents along with notice of action issued by USCIS. With this one you can apply for a Short validity passport which is issued for a period of 1 year.
You can start a renewal process 1 year before the passport expiration date. It is better not to postpone this issue and apply at maximum 6 weeks before the deadline.
Steps to obtain/renew the Indian passport in the U.S.
Register at Passport Seva at Indian Embassies and Consulates.
During the registration you must select a Consular Jurisdiction based on your current address:
- Washington DC: Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia
- New York: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont.
- Chicago (IL): Missouri, IIllinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, and Wisconsin
- Houston (TX): Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Nebraska
- San Francisco (CA): Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming
- Atlanta (GA): Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virgin Islands.
Complete the online application form at Seva.
Enter all data accurately and without errors. Print and sign it.
Create a profile at VFS Global and click on Apply now.
Choose the Consular Jurisdiction and a passport category. Select a mode of submission as "Postal". Submission in person is not possible due to the pandemic in 2020.
Pay fees at VFS Global.
After completing the application form, pay a consular fee of US$ 25, VFS Global charges of US$ 16.95 and Indian Community Welfare Fund fee of $2.
Collect the documents
Among the documents to be submitted there are:
- Passport application form, printed and signed;
- Current passport (the most recent one);
- 2 recent India passport photos;
- A notarized color photocopy of US legal status (Visa, Greencard, EAD, I-797 or I-20);
- A notarized Photocopy of a US residence proof. It can be a Driver's License, State ID, Rental Lease bill, utility bills, etc.;
- Photocopy of your passport's first five and last two pages;
- If you want to change your current India address in the passport, you should add an Indian address proof;
- Marriage certificate (optional);
- A notarized affidavit for change in appearance (if you are applying after 10 years of your current passport issue date). Also needs to be accompanied by 2 recent 2x2" photos for Indian passport
Send collected documents to the VFS office
All applications for Indian passports must be sent to the VFS Global Centre at 228 Grant Ave, Floor 5, San Francisco, CA, 94108.
Track your application at VFS Global
You will be notified when your passport is ready. It will be sent to you by mail along with an old passport.
New passport will be valid for 10 years. For minors (under 18 Years of age) the passport is given for 5 years.
Photo requirements for an Indian passport in the U.S.
The photo requirements for any Indian document are quite strict. Please follow this list:
- Head should be centered within the frame. It should be presented fully from top of hair to bottom of chin.
- The face should cover about 60-70 percent of the picture.
- Ears, neck, and shoulders should be visible.
- Full face, front view, eyes open are required.
- Plain off-white or white background is required.
- There shouldn't be any shadows on the face or on the background.
Where is it better to take a photo for Indian passport in the U.S.
The most popular (but not the most cheap) way is to head to the nearest drugstore or post office. The typical cost of a passport photo at a drugstore is about $15 for two prints.
But why not to make the process even faster and not to cut your costs? With Visafoto.com you can take Indian passport photos for $7 only, and then print it at $0.39 online per 4 photos and pick in 1 hour. Just take a photo of yourself at home following the guide Upload it to Visafoto.com and get your professional passport photo done!
How to print out a passport photo? Visafoto gives you 2 image files: one is your digital photo to be used for online applications, and the second one is an image ready to be printed on a 4x6" paper for offline applications.
Warning: if you come to a pharmacy with a flash stick with an image file to print your passport photos, they will possibly charge you about $15. Meanwhile, printing a 4x6" photo online at the same place costs just $0.39! This is how you can print out your passport photo at Walgreens for $0.39:
- Head to the Walgreens photo website and choose the 4x6 prints.
- Upload your printable picture purchased at Visafoto.com
- Order printing, choose the nearest location and pick up your print the same day (typically within 1 hour). The price for one print is $0.39.
Visafoto.com knows all the requirements for the Indian passport photos and have helped many thousands of Indian customers. The result is guaranteed: if anything goes wrong, you will have a 100% refund. Contact our 24/7 support if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.