Canadian visa photo
The main condition for traveling to Canada is obtaining a visa. With the documents for the visa application, you have to provide two photos.
For the application to be completed successfully, photographs must meet the Canada visa application photo requirements. High-quality photos are vitally important for your successful Canada visa application.
Table of contents
- Documents for Canadian visa application
- How to apply for a Canadian visa online?
- Canadian visa photo requirements
- Can I wear glasses in the Canadian visa photo?
- Canadian visa photo: matte or glossy
- Canadian visa photo tool
- What types of Canadian visas require photos?
Documents for Canadian visa application
To obtain a tourist visa, it is necessary to submit a sufficiently large set of documents to the consulate:
- passport copy;
- 2 identical photographs which must comply with photo requirements for Canada visa application of the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration of Canada;
- Application for a temporary resident visa (IMM 5257), completed in English or French and personally signed by the applicant;
- Supplementary Family Information Form (IMM5645E) completed in English or French and signed by the applicant;
- "Additional Information to the Application for a Temporary Resident Visa", completed in English or French and signed by the applicant;
- confirmation of hotel reservation;
- proof of sufficient funds for the trip;
- original certificate from the place of work;
- pensioners must provide a copy of the pension certificate, a letter of sponsorship from one of the relatives, a certificate from his place of work indicating the position, work experience, salary, and a copy of the first page of his passport;
- for students and schoolchildren, a birth certificate (copy), a certificate from the place of study, a copy of a student card, an application for sponsorship of the trip from parents, and documents confirming their financial well-being and ability to pay for the trip are required;
- for children traveling accompanied by one of the parents or third parties, it is necessary to provide a copy of notarized permission for the removal of the child from the remaining parent/parents.
The list of required documents differs depending on the type of visa.
How to apply for a Canadian visa online?
Online submission at the official website of the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration of Canada is the most convenient way to apply for a Canadian visa. If you missed something, the system will simply not allow you to proceed to the next stage. An incorrectly filled field will be marked in red, and it will be easy for you to find the error.
Follow six steps to get your Canadian visa online:
- Fill out forms and prepare documents
Download all the necessary forms for the visa you need and save them on your computer.
Forms must be completed electronically, saved, printed, signed, and scanned. All documents that you will attach to your application must be scanned.
You don't need to send your visa application now. It must be sent only together with a complete package of documents. An incomplete package of documents will be returned to you without consideration.
- Pay the consular fee
Payment must be made online using a bank card. Payment confirmation must be printed, scanned, and attached to all other documents.
- Send documents online
When submitting online, all the necessary documents except for the passport are sent in a scanned form along with the application form and confirmation of the payment of the consular fee.
- Wait for a letter from the Consulate confirming the consideration of the application
This usually takes 3 weeks. If the application is accepted, then the letter contains an instruction to send a passport for a visa.
- Send your passport to the Consulate
The passport is sent by courier mail after the completion of the consideration of the application when you receive the corresponding letter from the Consulate.
- Obtain a passport with a visa
A passport with a visa is delivered back to your home by the same courier service.
Canadian visa photo requirements
Photographs must comply with the Canada visa application picture requirements as follows:
- Photo size must be 35 x 45 mm (3.5x4.5 cm, 1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″ or 1.375x1.75 inch) by Canada visa photo size requirements;
- The size of the face vertically from the crown to the chin is from 32 to 36 mm;
- The shoulders should be visible;
- The head should not be tilted;
- Both photos must be identical and taken within six months before submission of documents;
- The photo can be either black and white or in color;
- Blurry photos are not accepted;
- The background should be white or plain light;
- The face should be in the center of the frame. The facial expression should be calm and relaxed, with a mouth closed.
- A person can be photographed wearing a hat or covering their head for religious reasons. In this case, facial features should be visible.
Here is a photo example:
Can I wear glasses in the Canadian visa photo?
Photos in sunglasses are not allowed. If the applicant wears eyeglasses, he can take a picture in them. The main condition is that the eyes are visible. The frame should not be too thick.
Canadian visa photo: matte or glossy
The photo should be printed on high-quality photographic paper. The type of the paper is not specified in the Canada visa picture requirements.
Canadian visa photo tool
What is the best way to take a photo for a Canada visa application? Because Canada visa photo size requirements are strict, it is better to outsource this task to special online tools. With Visafoto you can take a photo for a visa to Canada from anywhere in the world!
Use our Canada visa photo editing tool to get the quickest results. Just upload a full-face picture taken under conventional light. Visafoto will immediately resize and format it as needed, substitute the background with plain white and increase the image quality in general. The resulting image will meet 100% photo requirements for the Canada visa application.
Take a photo of yours under daylight like this one:
You will have two types of photos: a digital one is for electronic applications and a printable template.
Learn how to print out the digital visa photo in our guideline.
What types of Canadian visas require photos?
The information above suits the photos to the next types of visa:
- Canada tourist visa photo;
- Canada temporary resident visa photo;
- Canada transit visa photo;
- Canada student visa photo.
- Canadian passport photo size
- Get photo for Canada permanent resident online application
- Canada permanent resident visa photo requirements for online submission
- Canada permanent resident visa photo requirements for printing
- Apply online for a Canada visa
- Official information on visiting Canada
- Official Canada passport photo information
- Official information on a Canada visitor visa
- Check if you need a Canada visa to cross the border