Japanese visa photo
There are 68 countries whose citizens can enter Japan visa-free for tourism or business purposes. Other foreigners need to apply for a visa in advance.
Among the other documents, you have to present two pictures that comply with the Japan visa photo requirements.
Table of contents
- Documents required for Japan visa application
- New Japan E-visa: what an applicant needs to know
- Japan visa photo requirements
- Can I wear glasses in a Japanese visa photo?
- Japanese visa photo tool
- Japan visa photo: matte or glossy?
- What types of Japan visas require photos?
High-quality photographs are important for the success of your Japan visa application.
Documents required for Japan visa application
To apply for a tourist visa, the applicant must submit:
- Passport valid at the time of departure from Japan. The passport must have at least 1 blank page;
- A copy of the national ID or internal passport;
- Visa application form printed in two copies;
- Two photos that comply with Japan visa picture requirements;
- Proof of funds, such as a certificate from the place of work, a certificate of IE or a bank statement. You must provide only original papers with wet stamps;
- Schedule of stay (sample);
- Round-trip tickets;
- Letter explaining the need for multiple visits (If applying for a multiple-entry visa). The letter should be written in free form in English or Japanese;
- A copy of the marriage certificate for families.
The other types of visas require different packages of documents.The package may vary depending on your citizenship and the country you apply from.
New Japan E-visa: what an applicant needs to know
The e-visa to Japan, or the Olympics visa, is a new type of visa that will be introduced shortly at the start of the Tokyo Summer Olympics and will remain available in the future. An e-visa to Japan will be a single entry short-term tourist visa.
To apply for an e-visa, you will have to provide only a few documents:
- Application form, completed online and indicating the applicant's data and travel itinerary;
- A valid passport;
- Confirmation of payment of the visa fee.
When your visa is ready, it will be sent to your email, and all you have to do is print it out.
Japan visa photo requirements
Photo requirements for a Japan visa are:
- The photo must have been taken a maximum of six months before the trip;
- Photo size for a Japan visa application should be 4.5x4.5 cm (45x45 mm);
- The photo must be colored;
- The photo must have a light plain background;
- The photo corners should not be rounded;
- Headdresses, foreign objects, and unnecessary people in the frame are not allowed.
Here is an example of a Japanese visa photo:
Can I wear glasses in a Japanese visa photo?
Tinted glasses or glasses with heavy frames and glares are prohibited.
Japanese visa photo tool
What is the most reliable way to get a photo for a Japanese visa application? As the Japan visa application photo size is and different from most passport-sized photographs, it is best to commit this job to specialized online tools. With Visafoto you can take a Japan visa picture from everywhere on the planet!
Use our Japan visa photo editor to see the fastest results. Simply upload a full-face shot taken under standard illumination. Visafoto will immediately resize and format it as required, displace the background with plain white and increase the overall image quality. The resulting image will match 100% Japan visa application photo requirements.
First, take a photo of yours under daylight like this one:
You will have two kinds of photos. A digital one is suitable for e-visa applications and the other one is to print. Here they are:
Japan visa photo: matte or glossy?
You have to provide photographs printed on high-quality matte paper.
What types of Japan visas require photos?
The above information is applicable for the following types of travel documents:
- Japan visitor visa photo
- Japan business visa photo
- Japan conference visa photo
- Japan transit visa photo
- Japan medical visa photo
- Japan long term stay visa photo
- Japan student visa photo
- Get photo for Japan residence card or Certificate of Eligibility 3x4 cm
- Get Japanese visa photo 45x45 mm, with head of 27 mm
- Get Japanese visa photo 45x45 mm, with head of 34 mm
- Get GoGoNihon photo (800 pixels)
- Get JLPT photo 360x480 pixels (3x4 cm)
- Get Japan passport photo (35x45 mm)
- Get Japanese driving license photo (24x30 mm with blue background)
- Get Japanese driving license photo for foreigners (4x5 cm with blue background)